Thursday, March 24, 2011

Tripnotes: Bermuda

Peeps, for real - It hailed in NYC yesterday, which made me look back fondly on my trip to Bermuda. Here goes!



After a harrowing time trying to get to the airport on time (Hello Labor Day traffic!) we FINALLY made it to Bermuda. And with a view like this, we were thankful we did!

DSCN7161

The next morning it was off to the beautiful Port Royal Golf Course for a quick game of 9 holes. I’m not a golfer, but I decided to tag along for the gorgeous sweeping views Port Royal is known for. (Side note – in a funny twist of fate, Spencer and I met the director of Bermuda tourism at a cocktail party a few weeks before our trip. He was kind enough to invite us to Port Royal. Thanks Billy!)

DSCN7128

After that, we went in search of food and shade. Enter Mickey’s at Elbow Beach – a euro style bistro right on the beach. It ain’t cheap, but the views are definitely worth it.

DSCN7138

We stayed at the Fairmont South Hampton – an older property that could probably use a nip and tuck here and there. The private beach accessible only to Fairmont guests via shuttle more than makes up for it’s aesthetic shortcomings. It’s also a short walk from the Gibbs Hill lighthouse.

DSCN7156

We headed up the hill and into the lighthouse where we were treated to gorgeous 360 views of Bermuda. Definitely worth checking out.

DSCN7213

Then it was off to the Marina where we rented a small Boston Whaler by the hour and scooted around the gorgeous, clear waters of Bermuda for fishing (we caught Red Snapper!) and snorkeling. It was definitely a highlight of the trip and an affordable, unique way to experience the island.

DSCN7173

The next day was our last and we were ready for some serious r&r. It was off to the Fairmont beach for snowcones and tanning.

DSCN7172

DSCN7205

I brought some seriously addictive reading.

DSCN7234

We decided to celebrate the end of a great trip with a very special dinner at The Waterlot Inn – which has been serving the best steaks on the island for over 340 years!

DSCN7229

I love their Caesar salad –prepared tableside according to your exact specifications. I like mine with extra lemon! After a big meal, we rolled back to the Fairmont.

DSCN7178

Bermuda was lovely – and it was sad to say goodbye! Good thing it’s only about 2 hours from New York City. Can’t wait to go back!!

11 comments:

Michelle Lee said...

beautiful photos

Maggie said...

Lucky you. Wish I was there!
http://soyfrivolita.blogspot.com/

Maggie said...

Lucky you. Wish I was there!
http://soyfrivolita.blogspot.com/

Maggie said...

Lucky you. Wish I was there!
http://soyfrivolita.blogspot.com/

Maggie said...

Lucky you. Wish I was there!
http://soyfrivolita.blogspot.com/

Megan Taylor said...

The color of that ocean is insane! I'm dreaming of a sunny vacation...here in SF where it's raining and gray! xo

Kayla said...

Looks like a great vacation!

Ramblings of a Small Town Girl
Fanciful Brainstorm - Tumblr

dulci said...

@ Megan Taylor - I know! It is so gnarly in NYC and I am dying to go back to Bermuda ASAP!

Linda [the young curator] said...

can i just...live your life

please?


your pictures are beautiful :] looks like you had a great time!

dulci said...

haha Linda! You can be my apprentice :)

Sobrina Tung said...

looks awesome :) I wish bermuda were that close to me!